POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : New Buildings : Re: New Buildings Server Time
2 Oct 2024 12:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Buildings
From: Brendan Hurley
Date: 28 Apr 2000 21:16:40
Message: <390A3831.E440A7C0@saber.net>
Dear Folks,

Thanks for the replies.  It seems like forever since I started this
project for the GIP last Fall.  The final touches are in place on my
apartments and now I'm struggling thru placing them into the big scene
file composed by Ray Benjamin.  That part should be done tonite or
tomorrow.  The Group Project got off to a hot start but the energy has
slowed as the months went by.  I hope the posting of a revised Group
Image will get things going again.

Bob Hughes wrote:

> Great place, needs roofing material though doesn't it?

I say: yes, it does, but I am a bit weary just now.  Since this is a
group project I've been hoping someone, or several someones, could
contribute some of the parts missing or in need of improvements.

> Judging by the edges on things you must have used a fairly adequate AA.

Rendered at aa0.4 q9

> The fine-lined mortar is a difficult thing to do, I know; but it's good here
> in the still image, just hope you don't plan on animating it.  :-)
>
> Bob

The brick texture is by Ib Rasmussen, one of the other contributors.  I
did a bit of fine-tuning to make it work.  The big white "bricks" on the
lower storeys are the same texture, lightened up and scale up.

>Ken Tyler wrote:
> I often wonder why we don't see more architectural images submitted here.

Me, too!  Rendering square boxes with fancy trim is not so hard.  My
guess is that many of us did buildings early on then moved on to other
objects, scenes.  It seems to me from reading this news group for the
last year that tracing runs in cycles: somebody posts a new image using
some POV feature and everybody else posts variations for the next few
months.  A few months back there was a cycle of #while...#end loop
images.  And there is the perennial favorite: trees!  And recently the
spat of POV logo/mascots.  Maybe buildings will make a comeback this
summer!

Now that my apartments are finished I want to get back to my Our_House
project.  I saw a Home & Garden Channel special on Richard Neutra and
the Modernist style architecture from the 40's and 50's.  I had images
of such homes in mind when I started.  Now that the template objects for
a building are complete and flexibly functional I want to model a real
Modernist version of Our_House.

Stay tuned for more in a few weeks...visit my web site for "construction
in progress" snapshots.

Blessings,
         Brendan

--